A parent or guardian may excuse up to 10 absences per school year for student illness, medical appointment, funeral for immediate family member (with documentation), court appearance (with documentation), religious observance (with documentation). After 10 excused absences a signed dr. note is required to excuse each further absence. This applies even if dr.’s notes were supplied for the first 10 absences as well.
When a student is marked absent an automated call is made to the primary emergency contact (if you do not receive these calls, please contact the school office to verify your phone number). A parent or guardian must call, email, or send a signed note within 5 days of the absence in order to verify the reason for the absence. Without this, the absence will be marked as unexcused and repeat occurrences will lead to a truancy letter.
Absence for a family vacation is not an excused absence even if the student completes all schoolwork during the absence. However, parents may request an Independent Study at least one week in advance of any absence of at least 5 days . Student will receive attendance credit with a signed Independent Study contract. Independent Study approval is at the discretion of Administration.
We encourage you to schedule appointments outside of school hours but when that is not possible a parent/guardian must come to the office to sign their student out. A student may be released to an emergency contact upon verification from the parent and proof of I.D.
Field Study Day
Students have 5 school days from the Field Study date to submit their report for attendance credit. Unsubmitted/late reports will result in an unexcused absence for that day. See student planner for more information.
Lates & Tardies
Students must be in their seat or the locker room before bell rings. All late arriving students must check in at the office and receive a late pass to class. Being late for class will result in the following:
Late= late under 30 minutes
- WALERGA CAMPUS ONLY For each 5 late events (arriving late under 30 minutes) a student will receive a citation and a detention (see student planner). Our attendance policy is listed in the student planner under ‘Policies and Procedures’
Tardy= late 30 minutes or more
Unexcused=missing at least 30 minutes of the school day without a valid excuse.
- Creative Connections Arts Academy adheres to California’s compulsory education laws. EC Section 48260 (a): Any pupil subject to compulsory full-time education or compulsory continuation education who is absent from school without valid excuse three full days in one school year or tardy or absent for more than 30-minute period during the school day without a valid excuse on three occasions in one school year, or any combination thereof, is a truant and shall be reported to the attendance supervisor or the superintendent of the school district.
- ‘Letter 1’: 1st notification of truancy = 3 unexcused absences/tardies (30 minutes or more). S.A.R.T. (School Attendance Review Team) Agreement may be put in place
- ‘Letter 2’: 2nd notification of truancy = 6 unexcused absences/tardies (30 minutes or more). S.A.R.T. (School Attendance Review Team) Agreement will be put in place
- ‘Letter 3’: Habitual Truancy Notice = more than 6 unexcused absences/tardies (30 minutes or more). Referral to S.A.R.B (Ed. Code Section 48262).
- First ‘Excessive Excused Absence’ letter = 5 excused absences.
- Second ‘Excessive Excused Absence’ letter = 10 excused absences.
Once a student has reached 10 excused absences for the year, a signed dr note will be required to excuse further absences and a parent conference will be scheduled.